Hillary’s Emails: An Origin Story

040560-hillary-clinton
“When I got to work as secretary of state, I opted, for convenience, to use my personal email account.”
 — Hillary Clinton, March 10, 2015
~~~~~~

To: State Department – IT Help Desk
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 21, 2009 11:04 am EDT

Subject: Configuring multiple email addresses on my BlackBerry

Dear IT Help Desk:

It’s come to my attention that I will need your assistance to set up multiple email accounts on my BlackBerry device.

(It’s my first day on the job and I thought I’d take the initiative of asking for this myself, as I am someone who takes great initiative in getting things done. Like universal healthcare.)

At this time, I seek to keep my personal and professional emails separate but would prefer the convenience of a single device as I find having two mobile devices to be a burden.

Can your team please assist me in setting up my private email on the device?

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

Regards,
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State

To: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
From: State Department – IT Help Desk
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 21, 2009 11:12 am EDT

Subject: RE: Configuring multiple email addresses on my BlackBerry (Case #200456)

Hey there, Hil,

Welcome aboard! (Or should I say, welcome back. ;[))

I’ve assigned a case number to your request – please reference this number in any follow up emails. (Case #200456)
I’ll respond your case within 24 hours once I’ve had a chance to research how it’s done, since it’s been a few years since I’ve supported a device as old as you…rs.

BTW – have ya thought about getting an iPhone? They’re super-cool and much easier to set up for multiple email addresses, especially for non-techies.

Just a thought.

Peace out,

Justin
IT Help Desk – Support Analyst Level I

To: State Department – IT Help Desk
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: Barak.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 8:15 am EDT

Dear Justin / IT Help Desk:

To follow up on my original request (Case #200456) – it’s been 48 hours and I’ve not gotten any response from your team.

Please have a rep call my office at (202) 555-1313 as soon as possible. Thank you.

Also, we are not actually friends, so I’d prefer if it you referred to me as Mrs. Clinton or Madame Secretary rather than using my first name or an abbreviation for it.

Regards,

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State

To: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
From: State Department – IT Help Desk
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 8:16 am EDT

Subject: (AUTO-REPLY) RE: Configuring multiple email addresses on my BlackBerry (Case #200456)

To whom it may concern:

Help Desk support hours are between 9 am and 5 pm Central Time.
A support analyst will respond to you between those hours. Please call us if you have questions.

Very truly yours,

IT Help Desk

To: State Department – IT Help Desk
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 8:22 am EDT

Dear IT Help Desk:

Was that auto-reply really necessary? You know how I hate waste in government. Also, your message says to call but never once provided an actual phone number where we can reach your team.

And why are you on Central Time instead of Eastern Time? (My god, we’ve inherited such a mess….)

What I would really like is to get a response to email configuration question.

When can I expect that resolution?

Again, please have an analyst call my office to walk my staff through it – our phone number is (202) 555-1313.

Regards,

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State

To: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton
From: State Department – IT Help Desk
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 11:33 am EDT

Hiya Hillary,

Our call center is located in Green Bay, Wisconsin (go Packers!), so naturally we’re on Central Time.

But I’m totally thrilled to let you know that we’ve elevated the priority of your case (Case #200456) to be higher in our case queue.

Your case is now in position #981. (Vice President Biden’s occupying the first 980 requests — he’s asking us to “pipe in” all the “original Love Boat and Fantasy Island episodes” from the ’70s on “the YouTube.” We’re still researching what those are, actually, since none of us was born before 1979.)

As you can imagine, we are working as quickly as possible to resolve the cases in front of yours and will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please contact our help desk between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm CENTRAL TIME.

Cheers,

Kylie
IT Help Desk – Support Analyst Level I

To: State Department – IT Help Desk
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 11:42 am EDT

Dear Kylie:

Again with the first name stuff.
And I thought Justin was my IT support rep?

Regardless, I would like to escalate this request – I’m attempting to stay within government guidelines for handling emails and currently am carrying multiple mobile phones to handle my emails, which I find very inconvenient.

I’ve been told there’s a way around this inconvenience. I’ve tried Googling email set up on a BlackBerry, but the documentation I’ve found was written in 2003, which I’m told was the actual heydey of BlackBerry (apparently, the company isn’t doing so well now – I think we can all agree that’s the fault of the outgoing administration’s contribution to this world recession we’re in).

Also, I don’t have a phone number for the help desk – can you please provide it so that my staff can call to resolve this quickly? Thank you!

Or, if you have a link to a website with instructions, we can just do self-service. My goal is to get this resolved – hopefully you can appreciate that.

Regards,

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State

To: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
From: State Department – IT Help Desk
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 3:46 pm EDT

Hey there, Madame Hilary,

Hey, it’s me, Justin again. I heard you were asking for me as your rep. Awesome.

Anyway, I Googled around and found ya a link to some BlackBerry configuration stuff. Sorry, the latest I could find was from 2003 (you guys are on some seriously old hardware over there @State.)

Anyhoo, give it a try and let me know if it works and we’ll close our yer case.

Peace out,

Justin
IT Help Desk – Support Analyst Level I

To: State Department – IT Help Desk
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
January 23, 2009 4:02 pm EDT

Dear Justin:

The link didn’t work.
This is getting very frustrating.
Can you please call my staff at (202) 555-1313 to walk us through this?

Regards,

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State

~~~~
To: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton
From: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
CC: State Department – IT Help Desk
January 23, 2009 4:07 pm EDT

HRC:

Do you mind taking me off the CC on this thread?

I’m sure you can figure out a way to negotiate a way to get your private and business emails conveniently.

Remember, I “hired” you for those amazing problem-solving skills of yours. 🙂 😉

~ B

To: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: TheHllinator@yahoo.com
January 23, 2009 4:09 pm EDT

Mr. President:

Just out of curiosity – have *you *ever tried filing a support request with our IT people? It’s maddening. I’m thinking I’ll have Bill call – if I can ever get a phone number, that is. He’s so much better with people than I am.

Anyway, I take it that you’ll be okay with whatever solution I come up with?

HRC

To: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
From: Barak.Obama@whitehouse.gov
CC: TheHllinator@yahoo.com
January 23, 2009 4:11 pm EDT

No, I let Joe Biden handle the IT stuff – gotta give him something to do besides winking and smiling and that weird pointing thing he does. JK!

Seriously, yes – do whatever is necessary and just get ‘er done as we’ve got a few other big things to deal with…. 😉

BTW, have you seen the new iPhone? It’s so much easier to configure than those old BBs, especially for multiple email addresses. Even Joe figured it out.

~ B

PS: The Hillinator?

To: Barack.Obama@whitehouse.gov
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov
CC: TheHllinator@yahoo.com
January 23, 2009 4:17 pm EDT

B:

Ok, my team will problem-solve.

And I’m looking at the iPhone tonight after work – I hear it’s great with music and videos but the business features like email and calendars are a bit subpar.

HRC

PS: Yep, old college nickname. I was The Hillinator when Arnold was still entering body-building contests. Ha!

To: All State Department, All White House, All Congress. All HRC Staff
From: Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@clintonemail.com
CC: William.Bubba.Clinton@clintonemail.com, Chelsea.Clinton@clintonemail.com, Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov, TheHillinator@yahoo.com
January 28, 2009 10:37 am EDT

Subject: NEW EMAIL ADDRESS – Please update your address book

All:

Please be sure to update your contact lists and address books with my new official email address to be used for all official government correspondence, yoga information, and Chelsea’s wedding planning:

Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@clintonemail.com

Or alternately, for cat videos, chain letters, and Evites, please use:

TheHillinator@yahoo.com

In a dire emergency (I can’t think of what that would be), please use my government-issued email:

Hillary.Rodham.Clinton@state.gov

Regards,

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State

PS: Please do not share this email address with any members of Bill’s extended family. We all remember what happened the last time…